Friday, May 02, 2008

Groovy HTML Encode

I kinda thought that in the past I had used a special Groovy method to encode something as HTML. I mostly need that when I need to post something to Blogger (which completely baffles me - why isn't there a better way of copy-and-pasting html/xml in blogger content ???) . I do know that in Grails, there are a couple of special methods that you can use if you want to encode something as html, json, or something else. However, I'm not using Grails right now, so that's not always the best option.

After wasting 15 minutes trying to remember exactly how I did it in the past, I realized that I was using StringEscapeUtils from Apache commons-lang. So, having remembered that, it just works like magic, here is what I use to convert my xml/html samples in order to post them on Blogger:

this.class.classLoader.rootLoader.addURL(new File("/usr/local/java/grails-1.0/lib/commons-lang-2.1.jar").toURL())


xml = '''
<module id="id" version="0.0.1" package="package"> </module>
'''
org.apache.commons.lang.StringEscapeUtils.escapeHtml(xml).split("\n").each() {println it }

, which outputs the following :
&lt;module id=&quot;id&quot; version=&quot;0.0.1&quot; package=&quot;package&quot;&gt; &lt;/module&gt;

, which is what I paste into blogger and it works like magic !!!

No more running around like a headless chicken trying to find some service online that will convert my html/xml snippets !


No comments:

Post a Comment